Thursday , 18 January 2018

T-34A Fuel Tank Capacity

Home Forums T-34 Maintenance T-34A Fuel Tank Capacity

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hal Beatty Hal Beatty 1 day, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hal Beatty
    Hal Beatty
    Participant

Any thoughts on why the fuel tank capacity is listed as 22 Gal. per side in the Type Certificate; and 25 Gal. per side in the POH, and on the fuel caps and fuel valve placard on the ‘A’ Model? I’m seeing possibly an issue developing here.

By the way, we just drained and refilled the tanks on our T-34 and they only hold 22 Gal. each…

Profile photo of Terry Brennan
    Terry Brennan
    Participant

Since no one else has responded to this note I will chime in, limited experience with fuel tanks though I have had. I am going to suggest that your tanks were replaced somewhere along the line, as most have been since original manufacture. At that time you may have received NOS tanks that would indeed hold 25 gallons as advertised, or have been given smaller tanks from a different source. I know that my B model tanks held 25 gallons from an experience where I darn near ran both dry (shame on me) when I put 24 in each side and the airplane was still flying. Not sure who re-certified your airplane with 22 gallons, but they may have known that the tanks they installed held only the lesser amount and made certain the certificate said so.

Profile photo of Hal Beatty
    Hal Beatty
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Terry.

I was not referring to the airworthiness cert. for this airplane but rather the Type Certificate which covers all piston powered T-34’s. Again, the issue I have is with the FAA Type Certificate 5A3 which states that the fuel capacity for the A45, Military T-34A, is 44 gal. While it states that the fuel capacity for the Model D45, Military T-34B is 50 gal.

With most A-models being placarded with 25 gal. a side I just wonder how many folks are flying around in them thinking they have a little more fuel capacity than they actually have…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.