Mark your calendars for this new Fly-in and formation event in support of the Pell City Airport’s Aviation Career Day and Open House (KPLR) which will be in its third year on 9 October 2021. The day is designed to promote the many aspects and rewards of pursuing an aviation career to our local youth. We have seminars with presentations from Military Pilots, Airline Pilots, Corporate Pilots, ATC, FAA, Maintenance Professionals and Aviation Managers.
The Fly-in is planned for the 8-10 October 2021 weekend with fun flying over beautiful Lake Logan Martin in central Alabama just east of Birmingham. The weather is very nice this time of the year. Our goal is to build this into a major east coast Formation/Warbird annual event. This will be our first year to incorporate warbird flying into the schedule. On Saturday, 9 October at 12:00 – 13:00 we will showcase the event with a formation flyby program. Pell City / St Clair County KPLR is a great venue. It is an uncontrolled field and has a huge ramp and lots of places to park aircraft. We will not have a wavier but most of the local pilots will not fly that weekend to support our operation. We will issue a NOTAM advising a high volume of formation flying at the airport.
We have great sponsorship and support and there will be no landing fee this year. The local management is doing everything it can to support the warbird pilots who attend and want to ensure they come back next year! We have arranged the following:
- A nice private hangar with bathroom, lounge area, bar and briefing area.
- Private gated entrance adjacent to our operations hangar.
- Free food, soft drinks, water and beer to include a dinner meal on Friday, Pancake Breakfast on Saturday Morning, Lunch on Saturday, and a catered BBQ on Saturday Night.
- A Classic Rock n Roll Band will play on the ramp 7pm – 9pm on Saturday Night (Band is called the “Wingnuts” and most are local pilots…. They are very good!)
- A beer and BS Party at a nearby Logan Martin Lake House after the daily events on both Friday and Saturday
- Two 55 gallon barrels of smoke oil. ( Yes it is free but we must ensure we have plenty for the Saturday 12-1 display)
- We have plenty of ramp space and room for 12-15 aircraft right next to our Ops Hangar. Also have a dedicated golf cart and van to get everyone to their aircraft if the closer areas fill up.
- The first 50 pilots who show up with their warbirds will get a very nice “goody bag” that includes a custom event T-shirt, patch, hat and other goodies.
- A pilot smart pack with local area flying info and practice areas along with ground maps for hotel and parties.
- A timed Formation fly over contest where you must fly over several locations (docks) on Lake Logan Martin with a different formation at each point. The winner will get some kind of cheesy award.
We have arranged discounted fuel, rental cars (Which will be delivered to our Ops Hanger) and discounted hotel rooms for the weekend. (10 min from airport) We are requesting that you provide us with your intent to attend as soon as possible so we can make sure we have enough food and drink for everyone.
There is no cost to sign up so please register here as soon as possible.
Don't wait as we need to get good attendance information early.
David “R+10” Rothenanger is coordinating the meeting
For rental cars and hotel rooms contact them directly to make your reservation.
Ask for “Pell City Warbird Rate.” See you there!
Hotel: Hampton Inn @ 220 Vaughn Lane, Pell City AL 205-814-300 Reservation block # 97259709
Rental Car: Enterprise Rental Cars 205-338-8045